Monday, October 13, 2008

The Problem With Popcorn Ceilings

There is no problem with popcorn ceilings, which is the point of this post. I've known of them my whole life, and I've never recalled looking at them and thinking, "Wow. That's ugly." Have never done that, and I don't understand this new aversion to them that has taken place over the last few years.

The first time I was aware that popcorn ceilings were perceived as a problem was when a friend bought a new house. This took place about two to three years ago. My friend griped about the popcorn ceilings he received after specifying specifically that he didn't want them. This was all new to me, and it was perplexing. So my nut friend gets a ladder and a spackle, and he scrapes the popcorn off, making the ceiling's texture smooth and flat throughout his house. Unbelievable. I've never seen anyone work so hard to change something so benign. As I recall now, I found this banality rather amusing at the time. It still amuses me.

Periodically, I see people on these home makeover shows on HGTV and such complaining about popcorn ceilings. I'm like, "What's the problem?" I don't get it. I absolutely don't get it. In fact, I take pride in not understanding this new and unusual point of view. There's nothing wrong with popcorn ceilings. What difference does it make if a house has popcorn ceilings?

I know. I know. I'm normal. I can't help it. Not everyone gets the privilege to be weird enough to dislike popcorn ceilings.

Another funny thing about this is that every average-thinking person seems to have bought into this silly anti-popcorn dogma, and it's dumb. Just because everyone else thinks something doesn't mean you have to follow along, so don't. There's nothing wrong with popcorn ceilings.