Friday, April 25, 2008

Fusions: Nike's Air Jordan AJFs

Merging sneaker designs has become the norm at Nike. The world's leading athletic shoe company invented the practice, allowing for fresh interpretations of otherwise old designs.

Lately, Nike has struck intellectual gold by combining their original Air Force model with the Air Jordan XII and the Air Jordan V respectively.

The result is the AJF 12, which is pictured on top, and the AJF 5. As Paris Hilton would say, "That's hot." This year is a good one for casual basketball sneakers. I like both of these. Many passionate Nike purists have expressed disdain for hybridization. I understand the arguments, but I like the AJFs because they're not the same tired designs rehashed and retroed time and again. There's nothing wrong with a little variety. Like them or not, both models prove to be quite the conversation pieces.

Would I wear something like this in public? I probably shouldn't. Other adults might look at me like I'm silly, or weird even. A lot of people simply don't get cutting-edge shoe design, particularly shoe design intended for the younger set. In my opinion, these AJFs are definitely cutting edge.