Monday, January 07, 2008

Clemens' Defamation Suit - Oh, yeah. Roger Clemens filed a defamation lawsuit against Brian McNamee, the personal trainer claiming to have injected Clemens with performance-enhancing material.

Personally, I believe McNamee. George Mitchell believed him too, and he's a former U.S. Senate majority leader. Mr. Mitchell believed McNamee enough that Mitchell included McNamee's allegations in the results of his investigation. I do not know George Mitchell, but as a former senator he has credibility.

On the other hand, Clemens' suit has tons of merit. If McNamee can't corroborate his claims with compelling evidence, he could wind up in trouble. If I were Clemens, I'd've gone after Mitchell too. Clemens' legal counsel likely advised him against it, and the law may protect Mitchell. Who knows. Legal experts do, and I'm not one. One would have to assume Clemens' counsel has good reasons not to pursue Mitchell for releasing a report that could be defamatory.

Still, I believe McNamee. I also think Clemens has a case.