Monday, September 29, 2008

NCAA Football: Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, Polls

Alabama demolished No. 3 Georgia on the road 41-30. The impressive win lifted the Tide from No. 8 in the AP poll to No. 2 behind Oklahoma. The USA Today coaches poll ranks the Tide No. 4 behind Missouri, LSU and Oklahoma.

I believe Alabama or LSU should be No. 1 in the polling because I believe the top SEC team is better than the best team from the other conferences. I never believed USC should have been ranked ahead of Georgia or Florida or LSU, particularly LSU. So far, LSU is holding its own. The Bayou Bengals' comeback win over Auburn did not surprise me at all. I expected a rally and it happened.

An LSU win over Alabama would not surprise either. LSU is loaded and ready to shoot down all challengers.

As for Oklahoma and its No. 1 ranking, I don't think it is entirely deserved. The Sooners got it merely because they were ranked No. 2 last week when former No. 1 USC lost to unranked Oregon State and Georgia lost to Alabama. Florida losing to Ole Miss also helped the Sooners' cause. Regardless, I think Alabama should have vaulted over Oklahoma for the simple fact that Oklahoma played and beat No. 24 TCU.

Everyone knows Alabama can beat TCU. But can Oklahoma beat Georgia? Who knows for sure?

A similar case can be made for LSU due to the win over Auburn. Oklahoma does not face a major opponent until Texas on October 11 at the Cotton Bowl.

Perhaps Texas is the best Big 12 team. Even then, even Texas might not be as good as the best SEC team. Call me biased, but of late the best SEC teams do beat the best from the other conferences. My opinion is based on recent results and trends.